MoldersMosaic is about the transformation of my life from career to retirement and from city living to country living. It's about pursuing life and art and fullfillment through the Bible and other reading, travel, improving our homestead, mosaics, painting, woodworking and other crafts, sewing, vegetable and flower gardening, cooking, dogs & cats, chickens and other animals, etc.
We’ve had so much rain over so many weeks/months that it’s been impossible for us to get out in the yard with equipment to mow or till our garden areas or anything else. This has been true throughout the winter with the cold weather making it more difficult then.
Even though we’re still having thunderstorms almost every late afternoon or evening, at least the temperatures have warmed so we can work close around the house now where it’s not quite so muddy…especially under the roof. lol
The pictures below were taken earlier today. Hubby was working on a hydraulic leak on Tonka that has kept us from moving it for awhile. [Tonka is our mini-excavator/trackhoe.] When we can move it, we plan to build a greenhouse in that spot.
I was about to plant flowers in containers. Tiger (one of our two orange cats) was supervisor, of course. As it turned out, the containers got some prep….weeds pulled and dirt loosened. The containers need some plant mix, and I plan to go to the edge of our “creek” to get some ferns to include, but I didn’t get that far. [The “creek” is just a long wet area, probably fed from a spring, along one edge of our property — about 50 yards from our house. It has lots of trees and ferns and probably snakes, etc.]
Our neighbor stopped by and wanted to help Jerry, so it’s all his fault I didn’t get the flowers planted yet. LOL Jerry thinks the leak is fixed, and in our lunch prayers, Jerry thanked the Lord it appears to have been fixed as easily as it was. He’s planning to wait until tomorrow before putting it all back together in order to check it out again after 24 hours. [He had to drain the diesel tank and move it a little.]
It’s a warm 79 degrees, humid, and cloudy…nice day!
This was written on January 5, and posted right before midnight, but it dated the post the 6th…no biggy. After trying to put images and text on a page early this morning (like 1 a.m.), I’ve decided that I just need to post under different categories instead of so many pages and see how that works. I told you I’m not very tech savvy.
So, today I thought I’d start at the beginning by sharing some pics from the yard we had when we lived in the city. This will give you some ideas of where I might be headed for our country yard, but, of course, the space is very different.
In the city, we lived in a single-wide mobile home at the edge of the parking lot across from my husband’s shop. Our green spot of a yard was at the back part of the front and about 30X30. One of the first things I did was make a flower bed inside and along the back fence (above). My philosophy is that one can make their outside space pretty and inviting no matter how small and no matter what the hard-scape is around it. This picture is when the bed is about 2 years old. The first plant on the left is a lavender crepe myrtle that started as a volunteer “baby” from a friend’s plant. It continued to grow while we were there until it was taller than the fence — maybe 8 feet. There is another one planted at the other end of the bed which grew to about 12-15 feet. After we moved to the country 10+ years later, we pruned them to about 4 feet tall and transplanted them almost a year ago. We also pruned back two bigger red crepe myrtle that were beside our carport there to about 5 feet and transplanted them. They all sprouted and bloomed last summer except the lavender one closest in this picture. We thought it was dead, because it didn’t sprout new limbs. But, then it grew “babies” from the roots.
The pictures below are of our first attempt of a koi and goldfish pond in the city. That’s the back fence in these pictures, too, and the far end of the flower bed. You can see our attempt at a water fall. We had had a drainage problem at the front door and porch, on the carport, so we built this slightly slanted gravel path from the carport to the end of the pond. Overflow from the pond drained under the waterfall and on under the fence to a ditch.